[Dixielandjazz] Playing the old to be able to play the new........

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 10 13:57:42 PDT 2006

     Didn't Turk Murphy used to say that at concerts he would play
"one for them" (the audience; a song they already knew) and then "one
for us" (the band; a new song or one the audience didn't know),
alternating (more or less) the two?  Wouldn't necessarily work all
the time, i would guess, but would depend on the crowd, venue, etc.
But in general, not a bad idea, like alternating slow and fast, vocal
and instrumental.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "I don't jog.  If I die I want to be sick."  --  Abe Lemons