[Dixielandjazz] Playing the old to be able to play the new........

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Jul 10 13:48:47 PDT 2006

Barbone:
> But not selling Potato Head Blues, or all that early stuff because  the
> mass audience, and kids, are totally ignorant of  it.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon
But what if, in and amongst, you play "swinging"  versions of a few of his
old stuff, to introduce them to it?  Wouldn't  you, over time, be widening
their field of appreciation, and thereby span the  musical decades WITH young
people enjoying both the old and  new?,

Actually, I think in some ways you are both right.  I can give an even  "more
outside the box" example from my old boss, Stan Kenton.  He  HATED nostalgia,
but he did play Eager Beaver, Peanut Vendor, Intermission Riff  and others
because he knew that if he played the ones people recognized, that  they would
be more accepting of the really farther out new stuff, and he was  right.  This
worked for both younger and older audiences. The really funny  thing was to
watch people try to dance to Hank Levy's music (7/4; 9/8: 11/4;  13/8 -
etc......)  Sometimes we actually thought that people were going to  hurt themselves!
Mike Vax