[Dixielandjazz] PORTABLE SOUND SYSTEMS

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 6 07:40:32 PDT 2006

Randy Fendrick asked about lighter weight sound gear and John M answered
with Fender systems.

I, like John, use a Fender Passport. Mine, like his, is a 250 Watt system.
The amp and speakers attach like a suitcase and weigh 55 pounds. I bought
mine about 8 years ago and it was no problem then to lug.

It got heavier since then. :-) VBG

I can still carry it, but would have bought the smaller Fender unit, the
Passport 150 watt system had I thought I'd still be gigging in my dotage.
That unit, amp/speakers combo weighs about 35 pounds. I rationalize lugging
the 250 around as exercise and will not go to a lighter unit until I can no
longer lift it into the trunk of my car, or back of my Jeep.

You still have to lug mike stands and speaker stands, but everything else
fits into the amp/speaker case.

The 250 watt system will handle all your needs unless you are playing in
Dodger Stadium. The 150 watt system doesn't reach quite as far but should
fulfill just about all of you gig needs. Including inputs for CD players
etc., so that you can put music on during the breaks, which is especially
useful for weddings etc.

Both units were under $1000 when I bought mine. There are lighter/smaller
units from other manufacturers, but most cost an arm and a leg.

Best tip I have is to plead old age when playing for the kids. The swing
dancers, college kids, frat boys, etc., are only too happy to carry all my
gear when we play for them. Kind of like Tom Sawyer and getting help to
paint the fence. The girls are especially helpful. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve