[Dixielandjazz] George Formby

Wim Mossel w.p.mossel at wanadoo.nl
Mon Jan 30 12:48:13 PST 2006

Listmates,

At 2006-01-30 21:00, Robert Smith wrote:
>Thanks, Pat. Your explanation agrees with mine -
>I remember the banjolele from his films. I think
>the confusion arises from the fact that George
>Formby always called it his little ukulele, but
>I don't think he was always referring to his
>musical instrument. I have a recording of him
>singing "With My Little Ukulele In My Hand". The
>nearest he ever came to OKOM was his parody of
>jazz :"John Willie's Jazz Band". As I remember
>it he had three hit records, viz.: "When I'm
>Cleaning Windows", "My Grandfather's Clock", and "I'm Leaning On A Lamppost".

Have look at
http://www.georgeformby.co.uk/
http://users.powernet.co.uk/lampost/
http://users.powernet.co.uk/lampost/History.html

On the second site you can see him with his
banjolele and on the third site you can read
about the ukulele and the banjolele.
George Formby had an exceptional good right hand
as you can hear for instance in "I Told My Baby
With A Ukulele". He was in several movies. From
the movies itself I don't remember much, but I
only remember his fine rhythmic playing and his fantastic speed.

Kind regards, Vriendelijke groet, Grüße
Wim Mossel

Tenor guitar player of  The Autoreverse Jazz Orchestra
http://www.autoreverse.nl/

a.k.a. w.p.mossel at wanadoo.nl