[Dixielandjazz] Soprano (Ukulele) banjo movie star? Final answer(I think)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jan 30 08:38:58 PST 2006

according to this site ( http://freespace.virgin.net/dennis.taylor/
Page_01_Introduction.htm )

The UKULELE was given its name by the Hawaiians ~ UKU meaning 'Flea'
and LELE meaning 'to dance'. However, one major complaint about this
lovely instrument was insufficient volume. Alvin D. Keech produced
the first BANJULELE, a combination of the American Banjo and the
Hawaiian Ukulele, and patented the name.
 From 1920, other instrument makers made ‘Banjuleles’ but because of
the patent were unable to call their instruments by that name. So
they were called 'BANJO UKULELE' or 'UKULELE BANJO'. Since then, many
instruments have been made by many makers, so that there are hundreds
of different instruments...

so it one of those trade name patent issues!

Dave Richoux