[Dixielandjazz] Ukelele Ike

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jan 30 07:37:00 PST 2006

Cliff Edwards a/k/a Ukelele Ike, was a lovely man and as kind to the
musicains who backed him as anyone could hpe for. I know -- in  the week
between Christmas of 1953 to New Years, I took over leadership of the
Red  Ingle band at the Iriquois Gardens near Louisville. Red Was called
to NY to so a TV special and the management okayed his leaving. Since
there was a floor show of several acts, my role was basically to keep
the band going playing the acts and dance muic. The headliner that came
in for the Week was Edwards. His charts were simple -- a few cues, lead
sheets, and rehearsal time was quick and easy. and he was very
complimentary to the musicians. On New Year's eve, the final night for
him and us, he gifted all the band with a little cash and a  couple jugs
for our after hours wind down ( The area was relatively dry except for a
few places like te Gardens or downbtown hotels so the liquid gesture was
welcomed by all.)
I will admit that as a youngster I had loved the Jimminy Cricket
character in the Disney film. Edwards came over as gentle and nice in
life as he did as the character in Pinoccio. His mix of tunes and his
style of delivery made one realize how good these old Vaudeville people
were at their craft. It was one of the most enjoyable weeks I ever spent
in the business. To remember him at  his mention in several posts has
been a loving mind trip to the past and a renewed respect for Ukelele Ike.
I'll bet Bill Haesler has some of his recordings in his magical trove
of  collected jazz. He may know of some sides reissued that we could
glom onto -- eh, Bill?
Thanks, as Mr Hope noften reminded us, forthe memory.
Don Ingle