[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ukelele Ike

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 30 12:53:55 PST 2006

Dear Don,
One day soon, you MUST write your book.
Your current piece on Ukele Ike is another of your fascinating
recollections.
I have most, but not quite all the 'jazz' recordings he made between Oct
1925 and Oct 1934. Which is slightly less that half of his total pre-40s
recorded output. The 'jazz' stuff has backing bands which include musicians
like Red Nichols, Miff Mole, Joe Venuti, Jimmy Dorsey, Dick McDonough and
Joe Tarto. No Jimminy Cricket sides, that I can recall.
Not so lucky though with the 4 sides by Billy Costello mentioned by the
other 'Ding' - John. This Decca Sept 1936 record date with a group led by
trumpet player Teddy Foster also included the great British alto man Freddy
Gardner.
If I do have them, they aren't cattledogged.
Kind regards,
Bill.