[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 37, Issue 60

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 30 07:16:15 PST 2006

 "Don Mopsick" <mophandl at landing.com>

> Steve writes:
>
> "All those old time recordings of those tunes are less than 3 minutes.
> Fine as a guide perhaps, but if you can believe the anecdotal evidence,
> not anything like how these tunes were played live. To rely solely on
> recordings as an exact form of any jazz tune is myopic. Too bad that
> extended Roseland version of Tiger Rag was not recorded."
>
> Too bad we who were not yet born can't tell what old bands sounded like
> except through recordings. Your use of "myopic" in this case is mistaken
> and frankly pompous. Get over yourself, pal.

Hi Don:

Thank you for your friendly note. Guess I struck a nerve eh?

Get over it yourself and acknowledge the truth.  There are still some of us
around who heard some of those bands play live, that you know only from 3
minute records. Too bad indeed, that you are not one of them.

In addition, there are reams of written and anecdotal evidence that bear out
the truth of that first paragraph you quote above. Your categorization of it
as "mistaken and frankly pompous" is well. . . mistaken and frankly pompous.

Cheers,
Steve