[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Jan 29 21:54:43 PST 2006

Say Tom,

Is this pastor single? Sounds like my kind of gal. Got a phone number?

These days my religion precludes me from interacting with religious people.
Hah! Good luck finding a gig without religious implications in Jerusalem!
Actually, my best customers are religious native Israelis, not
English-speaking immigrants and tourists. But you have to be aware of
whether:

* the group allows mixed dancing
* a woman singer is permitted if there are men in the audience (including
boys and girls)
* a woman player is permitted in a male band or for a male or mixed
audiences

I have a religious woman friend, mother of 6 who plays clarinet and sax,
who has a letter from her rabbi granting a waiver of the last point as long
as she or the band she plays with doesn't violate the other two.

And if you play for the secular folks, many are viciously anti-religious,
and you don't dare make any comments or play anything that sounds
traditional or politically conservative.

Just some of the fun we have navigating the murky gigging waters in the Holy
Land.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble