[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jan 30 10:46:05 PST 2006

This is the most perfect definition and explanation of how to commit
"Gigacide" that I know.

I don't think that anyone is in the business of insulting anyone's religion
but knowing what kind of job it is and the Tuba player accepted the gig
knowing full well that some sort of religious tunes may be played shows a
serious lack of integrity on the part of the tuba player.  I think it's
called failure to perform.  That's not a musical term but for whatever
reason a person doesn't do the job he is hired to do he may be terminated.
I would think that the leader would be justified in cutting his pay by the
percentage of the tunes he didn't play.  Such as he didn't play 3 tunes out
of 10 then deduct 30% from the check.  If this guy is so religious then why
did he take the money. If you won't perform then it's very close to stealing
which is generally not sanctioned by anyone's religion.

I think that what you have is a person who wants to call his religion to
everyone's attention and that he's better than everyone else because he's so
special.

There is a lot of religious intolerance out there that ends up with negative
musical results.  For example school bands can't do anything with a
religious name.  Some of the beginning books has a religious Christian tune
"Fairest Lord Jesus" or "Beautiful Savior" in it and the title was changed
to Crusaders March.  This happens with Christmas music and many other tunes
by the masters.  Too bad.

By the way I think that I could name that church on the first try!
Larry
St. Louis