[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Jan 29 16:13:51 PST 2006

Well Saint Gabriel's was denied permission to play on the Tunisia Jazz
festival a couple of years ago because of our name.

They loved our music and look, but the government powers that be there
would not give us a permit to play because of the perceived Religious
Connotation in our Band name.   Boy if they only knew, how remote we
are from being a Religious organization on a campaign.

I offered to change it to the "Sheiks of the Burning Sands"  or Desert
Marauders of the Eastern Star  but that did not work either.:))

So we never got to play Night in Tunisia in Tunisia.  oh well.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

" And wonder in this day of political correctness if we could legally
refuse
to hire a player because of religion? Or ask players what their
religion is?
:-) VBG"