[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Sun Jan 29 13:32:58 PST 2006

Steve Barbone writes on Sunday, January 29, 2006 4:07 PM
To: DJML
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs
::snip::
" And wonder in this day of political correctness if we could legally refuse
to hire a player because of religion? Or ask players what their religion is?
:-) VBG"

[TD]
We sometimes are questioned on our full name and have played at churches or
synagogues or religiously sponsored events where we dropped "and the
Agnostics" from Dr. Dubious . . . No skin off our nose and the name is not
religiously anchored in our minds. As has often been mentioned on this list,
it is good business to do what the party signing the check asks for" (Within
bounds of course. I think I'd draw the line at performing au naturel at
nudist events as has been described on DJML at several times.:-)).

We did perform all the liturgical elements at a Lutheran service and the
pastor was fully on board with our program and name. She introduced us as
"special music today performed by, believe it or not, Dr. Dubious and the
Agnostics. Perhaps  by the end of the service they will have made up their
minds." :-)

Regards,

Tom Duncan
201-836-6076