[Dixielandjazz] What I called "European Chord Symbols"

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 27 08:40:14 PST 2006

In no way are my comments about the "Anthologie des Grilles....."
an expression of preference over listmate
Dave Littlefield's lead sheets or books. I have bought  his Dixie
leadsheet books, like them and use them exclusively at the moment for the
"Maine Street Paraders", with  a very few additions from my
own lead sheet effort.. Dave's stuff is all good.

I've not bought the chord books ONLY because I consider
that our banjo player can buy those if he prefers them to reading the
"Concert" lead sheet book. Don't want to use up ALL my
personal band intake on "equipment."

The Baudoin stuff is more expensive from what I hear and
like the Anderson fake sheets, difficult to read. The chord
books are easy to read, but probably also more expensive.

My current concern's are only. 1) How to interpret some of
the unique aspects of Baudoin's notation and
2) writing or finding a program to convert a lead sheet into
a chord chart instead of reentering it in a different form.

I am totally behind Dave's process and if  I ever get my
butt in gear to finish it, am working on a bass clef
transcription of both Vols I & II in cooperation with Dave.
I'm thinking of a transcription for Eb insts if there is  enough
interest to make it worth my while.

My other effort on lead sheets is to create some for songs
Dave does not have.  (You know: "all those obscure songs that
weren't any good the first time around", as some on the list have said.
The ones that cause the folks to set down the bottle of geritol to listen
to them)

 I try very hard NOT to duplicate his efforts
unless I need a chart for something he's not done yet, or want to
make more of an arrangement of it, rather than just a lead sheet.

I'm glad that my posts at times seem to cause Dave to re-advertise his
books. More folks should be buying them.

Regards.
Craig Johnson