[Dixielandjazz] What I called "European Chord Symbols"

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 27 08:07:44 PST 2006

Dick Sleeman is right. The "which program is best" issue is
endless.I would not try to get anyone to change from what they are using.

I settled on Sibelius for certain personal reasons,  (mostly "human
factors")
and at the recommendation of Vince Giordano. I am not particularly inclined
change -- because I get tired of moving around different programs endlessly.
I'm living with what I have used the most even tho' I am a bit frustrated
with
certain of its failings at the current moment.

Frankly as a retired professional programmer
I can find fault with all 3 of the major programs, each in a different area.
have 3 main different programs on my computer (Finale, Sibelius and Encore,)
and a couple trial copies of others that appeared intriguing at one time.
 But I just cannot afford to keep updating each one., so at present I only
upgrade and use Sibelius (primarily).

My key point at the moment is that as a programmer I will eventually end up
using the one that at least has 2 (3?) attributes:
1a. A decent explanation of the structure of the files they write so one can
    write code to use it to produce something different, or to search it for
    things like writing a directory to info contained in the charts
      (e.g., composer, copyright etc.) or to (as in previous note) create
       a chord chart similar to the Baudoin ones from a lead sheet
automatically.
       Others occur as well (automatic arrangement in different styles,...
and on and on.)
 or--
1b. A good subprogram in that main program (as in Finale) to create
      a good processable file (eg. Music XML) which is easier to process
      OUTSide the main program to do the above. Finale has a fast one for
      both import and export in the MuscXML format.
      The one in Sibelius is dog-slow and thus unusable for anything long or
       more than trivial in detail. -- It reads MusicXML fast, but outputs
it
      so slow you could have a band rehearsal after pushing the button.

2. A decent embedded language in the main program for writing additions
    such as the above within the main program. Both Sibelius and Finale have
    such languages. Sibelius' (tho' I use it) has a terrible language within
it
    and very poor access to all the data in the music file that I need
access to.
     (This may cause me to switch to Finale in the long run, tho' I find
Finale
         far, far less easy to use for the main things I do.)

Encore, tho easy to use, does not provide any means for extending it and no
documentation that I can find for the structure of the file produced. Nor
does it
provide a good file format for importation into another program (Midi is
insufficient)
There is no indication that it will support MusicXML in the future, which
would have
been my choice for a decent intermediate form for such import/export
capabilities.

These issues, of course,.
are totally unimportant to anyone not in a position to write extension code,
or programs
to process the main output.. If were in that category I might well use
Encore based on
a small bit of experience with it (thanks to Dave Littlefield). The only
other problem I have
with Encore is that I don't have any feeling that they are actively  adding
upgrades since it
was purchased by GVOX. Again, this is unimportant to those who are happy
with what is there now.

There is one more issue. Both Finale and Sibelius do provide an ability to
scan in well printed music, thus simplifying the entry of same. Others find
this not sufficiently well advanced (percent accuracy). I'm moderately happy
with it for a decent subset of my work.

As I said. I am not totally happy with any of them.
And would certainly not be in a position to recommend any one of them as
the best.

Regards,
Craig Johnson