[Dixielandjazz] What I called "European Chord Symbols"

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Jan 27 06:06:00 PST 2006

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't added more info on the Baudoin chord system.  I have a
bunch of domestic fires to tend to.  The Baudoin system -- for me -- is
wonderful.  Compact, easy to use and very well structured.  I also find
it helpful towards memorizing songs.

It was Philippe Baudoin (with Marc Richard) that organized the
Anachronic Jazz Band which was a subject on this list a bit back.

I'll try to write more on the system soon.

And yes, the little numbers to the left indicate bass notes.  If the
number is in the upper left, the bass should play that degree of the
chord on beat one.  If it is in the lower left, the bass should 'pedal'
on that degree of the chord throughout the measure.

There are a few other 'trucs' in the notation that are pretty cool too.
However, I would have preferred the slashed degree character over the
m7b5, but hey, I'm a fast get-used-to-it-er.

Soon, Gary

Gary Kiser
Clermont-Ferrand, France

www.sacapulses.com