[Dixielandjazz] A plethora of 10 year old jazz musicians?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jan 24 15:25:23 PST 2006

Some years ago When I was teaching public schools I had a beginning student
that played Trombone.  The young girl,  a 5th grader,   started off with an
almost perfect tone had a good range and played perfectly in pitch.  She
finished the first book in weeks.  At the end of the 3 month rental of the
instrument she turned it in.  I was shocked because although I was a young
teacher I had never seen anything like it.  This kid could play anything
that she thought of.  I thought that her parents couldn't afford the
instrument and offered to get her a sponsor or pay for the instrument
myself.  She was quite adamant and didn't want to continue and as far as I
know never played anything else.  The family wasn't musical particularly.
It seemed that she just wanted to try it to see if she could do it and when
she found out she could got tired of it.

Larry
St. Louis