[Dixielandjazz] A plethora of 10 year old jazz musicians?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jan 23 12:00:07 PST 2006

 Stephen Heist wrote:

> You know, I'm going to REALLY be amazed when one of these child prodigies
> actually makes the transition to being a happy adult, and an accomplished
> full time playing musician...
> I don't know WHY parents push their kids, because all of them seem to burn
> out, usually with disasterous results...
> Anybody know of a happy ending for one of these prodigies?  There MAY be
> one or two, but sorry to say, I've never heard of one!
 (snip)

Yes Steve, my daughter Molly.

However, I never pushed her.  I always gave her the opportunities.

For instance, if she wanted to practice for 5 minutes, or an hour, either
was OK with me.  I am speaking when she was little.  I kept it fun for her.

She went on to star in over 35 films, TV shows & Broadway productions.

She recently played the lead in "Cabaret" on Broadway for 13 months.  She
will be touring the US in the Broadway touring company of "Sweet Charity" in
the fall.  I would say that is a success story.

--Bob Ringwald