[Dixielandjazz] musicals

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Jan 23 10:11:21 PST 2006

The wife & I are looking forward to enjoying a week long special of musicals
on tv this week.  (I know they're corny, but I still enjoy them!)  They
started last night with one completely new to me:  Beyond the Seas with
Kevin Spacey,  based very loosely on the life of Bobby Darin.  This is a
movie from 2004, but I had not heard of it.  Seeing it over a digital
supported dish in Surround Sound makes it all that much better, of course.

A fantastically swinging big band backed Mr. Spacey on his vocals.  He's an
actor, but sings & dances better than most of those that call themselved
singers & dancers.  Amazing talent!

To keep with the current thread of young hot shots, there's a kid in the
film that sings & dances very well.

To add to Gunter's comments about his talents showing up early:  my mother
always thinks it's funny that all my school reports said something should be
done about my talking in class, and then that's how I've turned out to make
my living, communicating with others both in music & in my main gig.

Jim