[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tunes - Composer History

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 21 15:00:06 PST 2006

Dear John (and Larry),
I suspect that Eric Townley's fine book may be hard to find. It was
published by Storyville Publications and Co Ltd (UK) in 1976.
There is a companion book by Eric Townley and Storyville: 'Tell Your Story
No. 2  - a dictionary of  mainstream  jazz and blues recordings 1951 -
1975'. Also worth looking for.
So far as composers are concerned, you can't go past the late Warren Vaché
senior's informative 'The Unsung Songwriters. America's Masters of Melody'
(2000. Scarecrow Press).
Lots of detail and a good read too.
Last week I searched the internet for the paperback book, mentioned by
Charlie Hull, 'Who Wrote That Song?', by Dick & Harriet Jacobs and published
by Writers Digest Books.
The original list price in 1994 was about $70.
Used copies are available on line from about US$75 to approx US$370!
Being so far away, I am a little wary on taking a punt on an unknown (to me)
bookseller. I assume postage would also be prohibitive, if it is a big as I
think it is.
Does anyone know first hand of a reliable source for this book, in excellent
condition at a reasonable price?
Kind regards,
Bill.