[Dixielandjazz] FW: Composers/Lyricists - There's No You

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 18 14:46:49 PST 2006

Dear Ric,
A very good question.
'Durgom' seems to have attached his name to the Frank Sinatra 1944 versions
of the song "There's No You" recorded for V-Disc and Columbia 36797 and also
a later 1957 Capitol rendition.
George Durgom (a now celebrated Lebanese-American) was the band boy for
Tommy Dorsey, changed his name to "Bullets" Durgom and became manager for
many stars including Jackie Gleason, Natalie Wood, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn
Miller, Sammy Davis, Jr, Marilyn Monroe and others.
He was portrayed in the 2002 telemovie 'Gleason' by actor Saul Rubinek.
I think we can guess how he organised his way into the 1944 Sinatra record
sessions and on to the label credits for Sinatra's "There's No You".
There was still a Tommy Dorsey, Axel Stordahl and Sinatra contractual
association at that time.
Kind regards,
Bill.