[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Youth Band Festival

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 17 07:54:27 PST 2006

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> ,wrote (polite snip)

> Some list mates may remember -- A year or so ago I announced the plans for
> the first ever competitive Traditional Jazz Youth Band Festival.  We here in
> Sacramento have been working very hard on it and it has really taken off.
>
> We have, at last count, 20 youth bands ENTERED in 4 categories:
> Elementary/Middle School, High School, College and Jazz Club/Others.
>
> We have bands coming from as far away as WA DC, NC & Utah.
>
> Even if you cannot attend, you can help by purchasing tickets to the event,
> $10 per ticket).  Send checks, payable to the Sacramento Traditional Jazz
> Society or STJS. To help accounting, make sure that there is a note on the
> check that it  is for tickets to the TJYBF. Mailed to the STJS office at 2787
> Del Monte Street, West Sacramento, CA  95691.

> Below is a press release.

> 1st Annual Traditional Jazz Youth Band Festival
> Sponsored by See's Candies
>
> OK gang, put your money where your mouth is:
> Here's your chance to support the development of a new generation of trad
> jazz musicians. (remainder snipped)

CONGRATULATIONS BOB. GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT.

I urge all DJML members to either attend or buy tickets, and/or contribute
money to one or more of the bands attending to help with their travel
expenses.

For example, but for the efforts of the Potomac River Jazz Club, the Capitol
Focus Jazz Band from Wash DC would not be attending. Simply too costly. So
we, the PRJC members also made personal contributions to a fund for them and
raised enough to send them.

Personally, as you all probably know, I would much rather see future
Festivals be funded well enough to pay the band travel expenses. So dammit,
if you live within 250 miles of Sacto, go see these bands. Especially
Capitol Focus which is extraordinary.

Yes indeed, as Bob said, put your money where your mouth is.

Cheers,
Steve