[Dixielandjazz] Churchill Street JB reunion this Sunday 1/22

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Jan 17 10:07:44 PST 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Steve barbone wrote:

> "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> ,wrote (polite snip)
>
>> Some list mates may remember -- A year or so ago I announced the
>> plans for
>> the first ever competitive Traditional Jazz Youth Band Festival.
>> We here in
>> Sacramento have been working very hard on it and it has really
>> taken off.

Something coming up this weekend is the return reunion  of an early
"Youth Band" - The Churchill Street Jazz Band of Palo Alto CA. We
will be playing for the monthly session of the South Bay Traditional
Jazz Society on Sunday afternoon, Jan 22 at the Palo Alto Elks Lodge
( very near the sites of many 1950s thru 1970s Palo Alto OKOM jazz
venues like The Bucket,  Ironworks, and some Gasshouse that I have
not been able to find out much about ;-)

Bill Armstrong put together this band with students from Palo Alto
High School (and a few adult "ringers") in the mid 1970s and the band
had a good long run. I was in the band on tuba from 1978 thru about
1982 as a regular member and often as a fill-in after that. We had
some great performances at Sacramento (and other festivals) and some
very long running gigs at area restaurants and clubs.

More info and a bit more history at http://southbayjazz.org/
mth201band.shtml

Dave Richoux