[Dixielandjazz] Youth Trad Band Jazz Festival

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jan 16 22:43:55 PST 2006

Some list mates may remember -- A year or so ago I announced the plans for
the first ever competitive Traditional Jazz Youth Band Festival.  We here in
Sacramento
have been working very hard on it and it has really taken off.

We have, at last count, 20 youth bands ENTERED in 4 categories:
Elementary/Middle School, High School, College and Jazz Club/Others.

We have bands coming from as far away as WA DC, NC & Utah.

Even if you cannot attend, you can help by purchasing tickets to the event,
$10 per ticket).  Send checks, payable to the Sacramento Traditional Jazz
Society or STJS. To help accounting, make sure that there is a note on the
check that it  is for tickets to the TJYBF.

mailed to the STJS office at 2787 Del Monte Street,
West Sacramento, CA  95691.

Below is a press release.

1st Annual Traditional Jazz Youth Band Festival
Sponsored by See's Candies

OK gang, put your money where your mouth is:
Here's your chance to support the development of a new generation of trad
jazz musicians.

The Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society and Sacramento State University Jazz
Studies, in cooperation with the Traditional Jazz Educators Network, will
sponsor the
Trad Jazz Youth Jazz Band Festival, the first of its kind in the United
States,
at Capistrano Hall on the Sacramento State University campus, 6000 J Street,
Sacramento,
on Saturday, February 11, 2006.

We'd like to see all of the 350 seats filled with jazz supporters. The
festival will feature about 20 bands from all over the country made up of
middle and
high-school and college musicians ranging in age from about 10 to 27 years
old.

The festival will provide an educational experience about trad jazz for jazz
band students. The young musicians will be evaluated by a staff of
well-known jazz musicians and educators and given suggestions about how to
improve their understanding and execution of trad jazz.

Clinicians include featured guest clarinetist Bob Draga, trumpeter Mike Vax,
reedman Bob Embry, trombonist Howard Miyata, and others. The evening
Showcase and Awards Concert will feature encore performances by top bands
from the festival and clarinetist Bob Draga, one of the most popular
practitioners of traditional jazz in the world, who will be the featured
guest performer with the clinicians' band. The celebrity emcee will be
Matías Bombal, the Classic Jazz and Swing host from Capital Public Radio.

Tickets to the event, which include the daytime competition, instrumental
clinics, styles of trad jazz lecture/demo, and music exhibits from 8:00 am
to 5:00 pm, and
also the evening Showcase from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm are $10.00 and may be
purchased on the day of the event at the door in the Capistrano Hall lobby.

Or you may mailed to the STJS office at 2787 Del Monte Street,
West Sacramento, CA  95691.  Make checks payable to STJS and enclose a note
saying that it is for tickets to the TJYBF.

For more info:
youthbandfest at sacjazz.org
or
http://www.sacjazz.org/youthfestival/