[Dixielandjazz] The "Correct" song version

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 15 10:23:14 PST 2006

Interesting, these ideas about wondering which, of the many, versions of
"Farewell Blues" is correct.

Or not trusting "original" sheet music because it might have been dumbed
down so that regular pianists could play it.

And so we transcribe from somebody's record. Of course with little assurance
that the record we chose was the "correct" version.

After all:

Records were limited to a short 3 minute time frame. Therefore what we have
is merely a snip of music from a moment in time, in a shortened time frame.

Often, the composers/players used different versions themselves.

And who, if not for the general public who can't play as well as, e.g. Fats
Waller, is the music for? Why therefore eschew the sheet music?

And, since in the beginning many original bands did neither recorded
(Keppard who was afraid others would copy his stuff if he recorded) nor read
music (a whole bunch) what we think of as correct regarding tunes may
actually have been modified already and quite incorrect.

Ergo:

If someone wishes to "preserve" the original music of a specific recording
session (which may or may not reflect the "correct" version) that's OK.

Or if one wishes to modify the "correct" version via substitute chords,
and/or slight melodic line changes that's OK too. After all, many of the
composers/players did that all the time. Examples are all over the place
besides "Farewell Blues".

In more modern times, hear Monk's "Lets Cool One". Every recorded version he
did is different in melodic line. Or Blue Monk from the recently released
Carnegie Hall concert with Trane. Both Melodic line and chord changes differ
from other recorded versions. Monk himself preferred his music to be learned
by ear because it he was always changing it ever so slightly.

Or is Charlie Shaver's arrangement of Sweet Georgia Brown for the Onyx Club
band (Kirby) to be denigrated because it varies from the "original"?

Simple sheet music, different chords, different melodic line. So What? The
music is for the people. Preserve it in museums. Or collect those records.

And current bands might repeat exactly what King Oliver played, but lets put
some perspective into that effort. It will never be as good as KO's was, it
will not be jazz, and it will not be relevant to either today's audiences or
today's music critics.

It will, at best, be a small niche in the already small world of jazz. And
that's OK too if we dig that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Steve