[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans - The Movie

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jan 15 10:04:57 PST 2006

This morning I was surfing the TV (Turner Classic Movies) and came across "New Orleans" With Louis Armstrong, Woody Herman, Billie Holliday and a bunch of others.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The plot is a little contrived but the history is more or less accurate or at least as accurate as Hollywood chooses to be.    It tells the story of the closing of Storyville by the Navy, The acceptance of Jazz by society and Louis Armstrong's move to Chicago amid a somewhat contrived plot.  I would have liked a little more by Billie Holliday but she and other artists more or less cameo in and out.  The main tune is "Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans"

Well anyway If it comes on again it is worth watching.
Larry Walton
St. Louis