[Dixielandjazz] The "Correct" song version

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Tue Jan 17 08:43:26 PST 2006

Interesting dialogue on the 'correct' chords.

I contend that the correct chords are ones which work for the players
and sound good to the listeners. The important thing is that everyone in
the group play the same chords at the same time and that they don't
inhibit improvisation on the original theme.

I used to sit in awe of Don Goldie's group at the Sacramento Jazz
Jubilee. His wonderful piano and bass men used different chords on each
chorus, but never so different that they didn't fit with the original
song and what the horn players (wasn't Goldie magnificent?) were doing
up front.

The chord variations I don't care for are the ones many of the beboppers
create so they won't be accused of using the originals. What a stigma -
Playing a tune so it can be recognized.

Charlie Hull