[Dixielandjazz] FW: Philip Elwood

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 10 20:57:06 PST 2006

Dear friends,
This sad news dated Wednesday, January 11, 2006 from Leon Oakley via my
friend Eric Holroyd.
Kind regards,
Bill.

To His Many Jazz Friends:

Phil passed away today in San Francisco at the Kaiser/ USF Hospital while
undergoing an angioplasty operation during which his heart failed.

I spoke with him for over a half hour at the hospital yesterday evening and
he was positive and in great spirits indicating he might be home by this
evening or tomorrow morning. He spoke of plans and projects..........

As you may know his wife Audrey, passed away a little less than three weeks
ago. A very difficult time for his family as one might imagine.

His positive reviews of the many Bay Area Jazz Events many of us were
involved supported our spirits and for these beautifully composed pieces we
were never able to thank him enough.

WE WILL TRULY MISS THIS GREAT MAN.

Leon Oakley.