[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Bone player wanted

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Jan 6 16:39:40 PST 2006

There are several here but they want to only play a limited number of gigs
and they are already with bands that play as much as they want.  To get them
to play is to catch them on an off week or night and the pay is good.  This
is no way to base a business.  They almost universally don't want to read.
I was using a guy that is pretty good but has only rudimentary reading
skills.  Things like D.S al Coda were a mystery to him.  There is a young
guy with a lot of enthusiasm but can only read.  There is only one that can
do both that is more or less available until he books a job and then he's
gone. The only other one that I know died recently.  There may be more but
they must be keeping their heads down or are in groups already.

There just aren't that many guys around that actually want to play this
stuff.  Personally I'm lucky that I have a good solid cornet player that
wants to play who can do both.

It's hard to be a business man when you are surrounded by flakes, artists,
inexperience and inability.

Personally I don't have to read the charts but I think we get a better, more
authentic sound if the guys are on the same page.  My opinion about charts
is that they are a guide but to get the most out of them the players have to
"improve them" with their own interpretation and what works.  I prefer a
mix.  Charts for tunes that are less familiar and head arrangements for the
well known tunes.  I play gigs all the time with guys that do all head
charts but they tend to all follow the same pattern like intros all the
same, no verses etc.  I just like something more.
Larry
St. Louis