[Dixielandjazz] Novelty Effect Dixieland - was Wilton Crowley

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 5 13:34:40 PST 2006

on 1/5/06 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com at
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com wrote:

> "Tom Duncan" <tduncan at bellatlantic.net>

Hi Tom & List mates:

Lest we forget Larry Shields, the rest of the ODJB and "Livery Stable
Blues."

Comical, heavy on novelty, etc., etc., etc. Meant, so most serious students
of jazz believe, to be hokey.

Yet now, we (the new jazz literati) revere it for the wrong reasons, as
"artistic".

Paul Whiteman circa 1924, Aeolian Hall, played "Livery Stable" complete with
"novelty effects" for 1920's "Jazz Literati". He meant it as a joke to show
how hokey and primitive jazz used to be. But he was absolutely astounded
that it got a huge positive ovation as an artistic achievement.

One never knows, do one. (As Fats Waller used to say) :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone