[Dixielandjazz] The worth of Dixieland Jazz

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 12:57:37 PST 2006

"Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote
> Subject: FW: [Dixielandjazz] The worth of Dixieland Jazz

> After reading the first few lines, my interpretation is different:
> "It's noon Tuesday, and Sardo's Restaurant in Burbank is jumpin'. There's
> not a stool at the bar available, not an empty seat at any of the tables or
> booths. It's been this way every Tuesday and Thursday for the last couple of
> years - ever since Don Nelson and his pals started showing up for a
> lunch-hour jam session."
>
> Sounds to me like the place is packed, and has been for several years.  They
> must be doing something right!  My guess is there is a house rhythm section
> (paid, if it has been going on for so long), and invited (or uninvited)
> guests appear.  Maybe everyone gets paid.  There's nothing to say different,
> except there is a tip jar passed around, which still doesn't mean people
> aren't being paid.
>
> And, it would seem reasonable that many retirees would be there, as one
> assumes the younger folk are busy at work, and if they aren't, they should
> be!

Fair enough, however I made my guess based upon what usually happens in
California with Dixieland. And based that guess about lack of pay on the
tenor of the article which says where else can you get lunch for $6.95 and
hear great music too. Not too much profit left in that $6.95 to pay
musicians, once you pay the rent, utilities, taxes and the owner. And, we
retirees do not usually spend lots of money at the bar, either.

There are similar sessions in New York City at which the musicians don't get
paid except for tips. And yes the restaurants are jammed with customers
because almost everybody has to each lunch

BUT, at least the NYC lunch crowd is young and drawn from working folks who
take a normal lunch break during the day. We may not take a siesta in the
USA, but we do take lunch breaks. All work and no lunch makes for no work.

I guess we should ask Janie or Kaye. How much do do the musicians get paid?
Or is this a freebie for the tip jar contents?

Cheers,
Steve