[Dixielandjazz] PAYMENT, SARDO'S

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Fri Jan 6 14:32:03 PST 2006

Steve writes:

"I guess we should ask Janie or Kaye. How much do do the musicians get paid?

Or is this a freebie for the tip jar contents? "

Hi, Steve...

I am not a performing musician and have no connection with Sardo's, so will
defer to Kaye, should she choose to answer.

I do understand your point about "the worth of dixieland jazz, and the worth
of the musicians."  You also know that I am a big supporter of your ongoing
efforts to encourage all musicians to have as much business savvy as they do
musical savvy.

That being said, I did not find this article in the least bit "down" or
depressing."  Your sentences, "the audience was old and infirm and wrapped
up in dreams of what used to be. Neither does much for gathering a new
audience, nor for the relevance of the music to today, "  cast a gray-tinged
curtain over what was intended to be a very positive article about folks
gathering to play and hear the music they love best, at a time that they
were able to safely attend. Sounds like a treasure to me!

That happiness and satisfaction from this music is worth more than every
pill or doctor's appointment that the undeniably senior audience accesses.
And that includes the description of Don Nelson with his infirmities,
struggling with his walker, "but once he hears the downbeat he forgets his
disability and starts swinging and singing."   "Gliding back in time"  can
be a great gift.  They are not necessarily "wrapped up in dreams.." but
listening to their favorite music for TODAY, for the pleasure it gives them
NOW.  That fact alone has a huge inherent value, whether or not the
musicians are paid more than the tip jar.

Yes, I know I'm speaking as a nurse, not as either a businessman or a
musician.....and that's not such a bad thing either!

Pax Vobiscum, Steve.....Love Ya'!

Janie