[Dixielandjazz] Has anyone tried this?

charliew8fim at verizon.net charliew8fim at verizon.net
Fri Jan 6 12:54:12 PST 2006

Hi Listees,  I have been listening to Jazz over the internet, but not satisfied with the speakers on my computer and not wanting to invest in another set of high quality speakers, I found another solution.  For around $30. you can buy one of these IPOD FM transmitters designed to let teenagers blast their IPODS through the home stereo receiver.  The transmitters are micro-power, so I taped a 30 inch piece of insulated wire to the back of the transmitter for an antenna (illegal, of course) and let it dangle.  Then I plugged the device into the headphone jack of my computer, tuned down to the bottom of the FM dial (they nominally tune 88 to 89 mhz so you can find a blank spot on your home stereo)  I was surprised at the fidelity of these little devices (to my ancient ears) and the stability of the one I purchased did not drift.  I can now tune in Redhotjazz or live 365, or any of the other sites all over the house.  And if I see a track comming up that I'm really interested in, I might ACCIDENTALLY hit the record button on my tape deck.  (That wasn't me, and I'll never do it again).   Charlie (soaking up the good sounds) Coleman