[Dixielandjazz] Parades amplification - afterthought

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 3 06:54:32 PST 2006

Tom Duncan at tduncan at bellatlantic.net wrote:

> We arrived for a July 4 parade gig last year and were told that a . . .
> Believe it or not . . . Synchronized lawn mower troupe was just ahead of us
> in the line of march!!

> We were prepared to blow our brains out, but, fortunately, the group
> never showed up.

Now that's a funny story.

Too bad they didn't show up. You could have synchronized the music to their
performance with "Over the Waves". Or better yet, in a Buster Keaton Vein
with a high speed "Fidgety Feet". :-) VBG

BTW, list mate Nancie Beaven said trombonist Dick Dreiwitz was with the
Agnostics on NYE. He and I gigged together back in the 1950's a few times
when he subbed in the Southampton Dixie, Racing and Clambake Society Jazz
Band. I also gigged with his wife Barbara several times. Most notably circa
1958 on an NBC TV show featuring the SDRCS JB when she played Sousaphone and
was 6 months pregnant.

Please pass on my regards to them both. Last time we saw each other was at
NJ Jazz Society Pee Wee Russell Memorial Stomp a few years ago when we were
performing with different bands.

Cheers,
Steve