DIVA Jazz Orchestra was RE: [Dixielandjazz] New Trier High School Mantooth Jazz Festival

Tom Duncan doctordubious at verizon.net
Mon Feb 20 17:57:20 PST 2006

 Steve Barbone writes on Sunday, February 19, 2006 5:32 PM
To: DJML
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] New Trier High School Mantooth Jazz Festival

A while back I posted about this amazing high school jazz festival. Now you
can see some of it on line. Especially the DIVA Jazz Orchestra (ALL FEMALE).
This is a really neat band, though "modern" jazz which some may not like. If
you watch/hear their performance, you will hear some ladies who not only
know how to read charts, but also solo. EXTREMELY WELL. That tenor player is
a .....!

[Tom Duncan]Anat Cohen may be that tenor player (or the alto soloist?)
although I have heard her play clarinet very well at Birdland with Dave
Ostwald's Gully Low Jazz Band. Caught a performance where she sat in and
traded 2's, 4's, 8's, choruses with Dan Levinson. OKOM is alive in New York
and environs!!

Regards,

Tom Duncan
201-836-6076