[Dixielandjazz] The IRS...

Jon Stutler jon at razzmajazz.com
Sun Feb 19 17:24:00 PST 2006

Bob:

The Razzmajazz Dixieland Band is presented by JS SHOWS, Inc.  I formed the Sub Chapter S JS SHOWS, Inc. in 1985 when I was booking a LOT of groups out at Six Flags over Texas.  Back then, everyone was an employee with worker's comp, liability insurance, etc.  It worried me to have the personal liability, so I incorporated.

So today, since I'm only booking Razzmajazz, I have it's clients pay the corp. and then I draw a paycheck from it. I pay the guys as contract labor.  I'm the only Employee and the corp 1099's the guys.  There are lots of other true blue legal benefits as well.  I make my tax deposits through the corp. and I never have to worry about making estimated tax payments or getting caught short at the end of the year.  Works well for a guy who likes all the ducks in a perfect row.  I also carry a $1 Million Liability Insurance policy on the band, which has turned out to be a requirement for some of the work we've done.

Hope that helps, Bob.  Let me now if you would like other details.  If anyone would like to know the hows and/or whys a Corp. makes pretty good sense for someone who is still working full time, I would be happy to share the reasons.

Thanks,
Jon Stutler, M.Ed.
817-233-4149
Fax 817-560-0708