[Dixielandjazz] New Trier High School Mantooth Jazz Festival

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 19 14:31:41 PST 2006

A while back I posted about this amazing high school jazz festival. Now you
can see some of it on line. Especially the DIVA Jazz Orchestra (ALL FEMALE).
This is a really neat band, though "modern" jazz which some may not like. If
you watch/hear their performance, you will hear some ladies who not only
know how to read charts, but also solo. EXTREMELY WELL. That tenor player is
a .....!

The video of The DIVA Jazz Orchestra's  Saturday, February 4 appearance at
New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois is available for viewing online:

http://www.ntjazz.com/Jazz_Festival/2006/fest06archives.htm

Scroll down the site until you get to the DIVA name and picture and the
yellow highlighted link that says "See their evening performance". click it.

Take a look if you're interested...it's an amazing High School & great Jazz
Festival. All the work (organization, audio & video) is done by the
students! And some of us say teachers aren't doing a good job?

Well, as Charlie Hook's widow Lornetta wrote to me a few days ago; "Your
best teacher will always be yourself. The reality is that a classroom or
band teacher is simply your guide and soundboard!"

Of course, she teaches and doesn't live far from Winnetka, either. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone