[Dixielandjazz] Quotes

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Thu Feb 23 21:45:09 PST 2006

Rae Ann made a comment about Jim Cullum saying something about firing any musician who used quotes. I think he was pretty much joking.  I have played with his band many times, and while they are not prevelant, I have heard some quotes there.
As someone else said, I think moderation is the key.  There are some musicians who can get the "weirdest" quotes into a solo that really do make you chuckle.
I can tell you that on the 2004 Kenton Alumni Tour, it became almost a challenge to see who could put the most "inventive" quotes into their solos.  Without being redundant at all, some of the guys were pretty amazing at it.  So much so that before the final concert of the tour, I went to a trophy shop and had "quotemaster" plaques made up and presented them to the four most inventive guys. Both the musicians and the audience werre laughing so hard that we had to take a little time to
"calm down" before playing the final tune of the night.  As far as I know, all those guys have those plaques up on their office walls.
Some fun was had by all.
Mike Vax