[Dixielandjazz] Ooyah, ooyah, ooyah! and similar songs (was YOBS)

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 24 02:08:52 PST 2006

G'day John, Dave, Bill and other fans of Lennie Hastings and the Alex Welsh Band.

John Farrell said:

[In fact that was a famous gimmick of the late, great British OKOM drummer Lennie Hastings who on a four-bar drum break at the end of a tune would play the first two bars then for the last two would rip off his wig, throw it in the air and pretend to shoot it with a rimshot, at the same time yelling "Ooyah, ooyah, ooyah!".

 Dear old Lennie, he was a talented, fun guy sadly missed by everybody who played with him."]

I will certainly agree with those last sentiments. I was a big fan of The Alex Welsh band during the late 50s and the 60s. My own band of those days even used to play intervals for them in some clubs, and my drummer was a student and friend of Lennie's - not that they got much time to teach in those days, what with the one-night stands and very few motorways.

BUT, I think you guys have got it wrong. It was not  "Ooyah, ooyah, ooyah!". It was "OOLyah! OOLyah! OOLyah!" The story goes that he dropped his sticks half way through a four-bar break one night and that is why he stood up, threw his arms up in the air and did the verbal bit. But, like you said, Lennie was a great joker and who really knows?

I think the wig throwing and rim shot must have come after he got into trouble for the previously used Hitler impersonation with one drumstick under his nose etc.

Aside from all that, what a great swinging band they were. Easily my favourite! As I have mentioned previously on this List, I still draw a lot of my own inspiration from listening to Roy Williams. If you have ever heard his trombone solo on the 1971 Classic Concert recording of "I Want A Little Girl", you'll know exactly what I mean! In addition, the "Dapper Dan" and "Dippermouth Blues" tracks have the "OOLyah! OOLyah! OOLyah!" Lennie Hastings' trademark breaks.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com