[Dixielandjazz] Tunes with identical chord progressions.

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 23 21:00:07 PST 2006

Bill,
I didn't say the tunes are not worth playing to please an audience,
I'm just exercising my First Amendment right and expressing my
opinion that I do not care for them, on a harmonic basis. You don't
have to defend their worthiness, lotsa players and audiences like
them. I'm just stating a preference, just as you did. If I'm the
leader, I don't call them, just as I don't call the monotonous
Honeysuckle Rose. If they are requested, I call them. We maintain a
"hit list" within my regular band. That means if a sideman suggests a
tune that the leader hates, he gets hit. (Not really.) I'm sure that
every leader has tunes he avoids calling because he doesn't care for
them. Have we forgotten the thread about this just a few weeks ago?
Let's not revisit it or the next thing you know the ". . . Wonderful
World" police will pop up again.

Cheers,
John
--
“We are Microsoft of Borg. Open your wallet and surrender your cash.
We will add your money to our own. Resistance is futile. Bend over