[Dixielandjazz] Re: falling asleep on the job (not OT)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Feb 21 17:50:54 PST 2006

One thing I have learned about being tired and dropping off to sleep
in inappropriate circumstances - especially if you are a bit
overweight and/or snore a lot - is to get a sleep test for Apnea!

  I had this problem about 10 years ago and got the test. It was
determined that I had moderate apnea and the possible cures were: a
plastic "mouth-guard" to move my lower jaw forward while I slept
(tried that - didn't work,) drastic surgery to move my jaw and tongue
forward and reshape my palate (DID NOT DO THAT!  - no idea what it
would have done to my tuba playing,) and the thing that worked: a
small air pump and face mask called a CPAP that I use every night
while I sleep. No more snoring, I get good quality sleep and my
general health has been much improved. I also think my playing has
improved as well!

Seriously, this is something that has passed beyond "experimental
medicine" and has become very accepted. Do a google on "apnea" or
"CPAP" and check it out. http://www.sleepapnea.org/  and http://
www.apneanet.org/  are good starting points.

Dave Richoux