[Dixielandjazz] sleep deprived

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 21 11:20:23 PST 2006

Back in the sixties my group worked 3 nights a week
at the Ridgewood Terrace, in Queens. We were the "show"
band. The routine Play a dance set, other band played an
hour. Play the show, other band played an hour. Play
the 2nd show. Go home.
Show consisted of an emcee, dance team, singer,
comic, stripper + a female impersonater strip act.
Figure 5-6 songs per act. Even the comic had a few.
Figure 5-6 pages (piano) per tune.

I was working all day prior to arriving at the gig. More
than once I fell asleep during the show but made every cut.
My drummer always commented that at 11:15 or so I
would suddenly wake up again. Don't ask me how I did
it, I'll never know.

P.S. off topic: it was a chinese restaurant and the food was
great.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com