[Dixielandjazz] sleep deprived

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Feb 21 09:01:24 PST 2006

Two stories

When I taught for the State I was giving a drum lesson (therapy session) to
a retarded student.  The goal was to get him to tap left and right while I
kept count with the bass drum.  It was a very hot day and this was before
AC.  I had been doing this for about 20 minutes and just dozed off while
playing.  The principal walked in and was a little upset that I was falling
asleep but I guess he got over it.

When I was in college we traveled sometimes 250 miles to play a gig and
would drive home after playing.  One night we were coming home and I was
driving and fell asleep at the wheel.  The female bass player that was
sitting by me just reached over and steered the car for about 8 miles till I
woke up.  The passing street lights as we came into the city woke me up
Larry
St. Louis