[Dixielandjazz] Re: searching for Don Goldie

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Feb 18 09:16:44 PST 2006

Bill Haesler wrote:

>>.............. a very affordable CD on the market of T. and Goldie, called
>>

>'Mis'ry and the Blues'......... recorded in (or around)  1961 in Chicago.<
>  and
>

>>The majority (but not all) of the material  was by composer Willard Robson.
>>

>.............. I think that Henry Cuesta was on Clarinet on these sides.
>Correct me if my memory is fauilty.
>
>Sorry Don,
>Wrong record.
>The Teagarden/Goldie LP/CD with the Willard Robison stuff you have in mind
>is Verve V6-8465, 'Think Well of Me'.
>"Where Are You/Cottage For Sale/Guess I'LL Be Back Home This Summer/I'M A
>Fool About My Mama/Don't Smoke In Bed/In A Little Waterfront Café/ Think
>Well Of Me/Old Folks/Country Boy Blues/Tain't So Honey, Tain't So/'Round My
>Old Deserted Farm".
>Recorded over 3 days in Jan 1962 with a big band including JT, Don Goldie,
>prob. Bernie Leighton, p/cel; prob. Barry Galbraith, g; Art Davis, sb; Bob
>Brookmeyer, Russ Case,Claus Ogerman (arr, cond.); others unknown. I have the
>CD.
>Henry Cuestra IS on the 'Mis'ry and the Blues' CD and was missed in Berry's
>summary.
>The Jimmy Dorsey "Maria Elana" is an 'implied' waltz. The Bunk is a rhumba.
>Kind regards,
>Bill.

Leave it to reliable Haesler brain cells to straighten me out onthe
these two recordings. Trouble is that I only hve then on tape, both
albums, and guess I have a title mix in my end. Of course the Misery and
the Blues title should have tipped me off that this was a Charlie LaVere
tine, not Willard. So, once again
the reliable Mr. Haesler has takente foot out of my mouth in a veryt
kind and gentle tug. Thanks, Bill.
Don ("Day by day, in every way, I'm getting  foggier") Ingle
Riding out the bliazzard and ice in God's ...  country - as in damned!.