[Dixielandjazz] FW: Lead Sheet for Big Time Woman?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 16 22:01:56 PST 2006

Dear friends, particularly Craig Johnson, David Littlefield and Bruce
Strangeland,
Remember this thread?
"Oh no!" I hear y'all cry.
8>)

[snip from a Haesler post dated 9 Jan 06.]
>Listmate Adrian Ford with a smug smile on his face produced, at our regular
musician's meeting this afternoon, the sheet music (with lyrics) of "Big Time
Woman".
Composed by - da da - Roosevelt Sykes!
The Wilton Crawley version, made in New York on 3 June 1930 for Victor
(23292) gives credit to Crawley.
Sykes recorded it for Victor (23270) in Memphis on 17 Nov 1930 as Willie
Kelly.
Note the dates and catalogue numbers.
Mmmmmmmmm.
The lyrics are (essentially) the same.
I don't have the Willie Kelly (Sykes) version (what?) but smell a rat.<

I have just obtained the Willie Kelly (Roosevelt Sykes) Victor 23270
version.
It has absolutely nothing at all in common with the Crawley recording.
Same title - different words and tune construction.
Therefore, there were two different songs called "Big Time Woman" in the
Victor catalogue in 1930.
Case closed.
Kind regards,
Bill.