[Dixielandjazz] Butchering the Star Spangled Banner

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 7 08:21:41 PST 2006

Perhaps we should be grateful that all those who murder the Star Spangled
Banner don't sing its original words. It was a drinking song written circa
1750 in England. Francis Scott Key "borrowed" the tune after he wrote the
poem, and together they later became our National Anthem.

Good old FSK, One of the early copyright violators? If so why did he choose
such a terrible melody? Many still think that the Jimi Hendrix version is
far better than the original English version. :-) VBG. Many, like Pogo, are
also horrified that our National Anthem melody is a 300 year old British
drinking song still sung by a bunch of British drunks at meetings today.

It became "our" official National Anthem in 1931, by act of Congress after a
20 year span in which 40 bills were introduced before one was passed.

Original words below. Original sheet music and 5 more verses may be found
at:  http://www.bcpl.net/~etowner/anacreon.html

To Anacreon in Heaven, where he sat in full glee,
A few sons of Harmony sent a petition,
That He their Inspirer and Patron would be;
When this answer arrived from the Jolly Old Grecian
"Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
"no longer be mute,
"I'll lend you my Name and inspire you to boot,
"And, besides, I'll instruct you like me to entwine
"The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone