[Dixielandjazz] MUSIC TEACHERS -- GIVE 'EM A BREAK

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 12:56:25 PST 2006

Richard Redmon eighthst7 at aol.com wrote (polite snip)

> WELL I'VE HELD MY TONGUE A LONG TIME,  WHILE I LISTEN TO SOME OF YOU  GUYS
> CRITICIZE THEM. IT SEEMS THAT ANY PROBLEM WE HAVE IN SOCIETY OR ANY
> SHORTCOMING
> WE FIND IS ALWAYS CAUSED BY THE FAILING OF SCHOOLS AND  TEACHERS.

WELL SAID RICHARD.

Perhaps we should be looking at ourselves for our own failures in the root
causes of the dumbing down of Americans. Of course that just pisses everyone
else off, especially if phrased by Pogo who wisely said:

"We have met the enemy and they is us."

What? We share in the responsibility for piss poor musical education? For
kids not liking jazz? How many of us really want to hear that truth?

Far easier to bury our heads in the sand and say that the "teachers" can't
teach and the kids are all musically challenged these days. Sheer nonsense,
as verified by those of us who perform musically before young people every
week and revel in their adulation.

Were it not for a few on this list who dislike my so called "bragging"
posts, I'd report what happened yesterday with 1000 teens/young 20's who
came to see "Avenged Sevenfold" at the Showboat, and their interaction with
a New Orleans Marching Dixieland Jazz Band.

Say, how come when I do all these gigs, the literati don't want to hear what
I learn from them. And when teachers do no gigs, the literati don't want to
hear about it either because "them that don't gig can't teach"?

What do they want to hear? The preconceived noise in their minds.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone