[Dixielandjazz] Music Teachers

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Feb 5 09:52:56 PST 2006

The "music teachers at schools" thread brought back old memories.  During my
"starving musician" days in the early 1970's, I had two young children in an
Internation (read "expensive") private school in Madrid.  The director of
the school talked to me about teaching Music Appreciation classes, as he
liked the idea that I was a long haired, bearded, active (he thought!)
musician.

What I was not was a teacher, however, I did one day a week at the school
for about 8 years!
Traded my slavery for free tuition for the kids.  Finally got the hang of
the gig more or less.

Still run into past students on gigs sometimes.  Really funny 'cause the
trumpeter will nudge me saying "there's a really cute girl that keeps
staring at you".  Then, on the break...she comes directly up to me. Of
course,it's a past student!

It's nice to hear many times that I was one of their favorite teachers.
Maybe 'cause I wasn't teaching, just talking about something I enjoy.  And,
they accepted me as I was then working (not much, but still working) with
one of Spain's biggest rock/pop singers, and of course had my then weekly
gig with the Jazz Band.  Mainly sat on the desktop & talked or listened,
asked them questions, etc.

I was writing & producing jingles then, also, for Spanish tv.  Got the kids
to help me write the songs by getting them to give me ideas of melodies from
the lyrics I was given.  Probably not behaving properly by school rules, but
it was fun!

One student became a icon of Spanish punk music in the 1980's (doubt if I
had much to do with that!), and another went into the record company
industry.  He says it was because of me, and I believe now has a contract
out on my head!    :>

Jim