[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rock Band Giving Away Music

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Feb 5 09:25:35 PST 2006

Thanks Bill:

I had not yet had time to do the follow up to Nancy's post to run down
the OTHER side of the story rather than the obvious Spin story from the
Powers that used to be Big BROTHER  Record label and Protection
association who lost out big time by being one upped by the band.  With
as you said a simple but brilliant idea,  some of these kids are not so
dumb after all.

The last time I saw a marketing maneuver that smart by a Major record
label was when the cleverly invented the Columbia Record Club,
followed by BMG Record Club,  whereby they devised the old buy any 12
albums for $.01  when you join and agree to buy only 6 more at regular
club prices over the next year.    They sucked in all the rural folks
who were too far away to drive into a city to find a major record store
to by their records.  Did the lose money on those 12 albums,  of course
not, because they charged a shipping and handling fee, and doubled it
for rush service.   They also had clauses in all their "STANDARD"
recording contracts with all artists that excluded the artists from
receiving any royalties for any promotional copies or copies sold at
less than their normal wholesale price.  :))   For years those of us
who were involved with those labels tried desperately and at great
expenses to get explanations for this situation from the Major labels
during discussion panels at industry conventions, where the Standard
answer was always " You will have to speak to Columbia Record Club on
those matters as Columbia & RCA  Records has nothing to do with that
operation.   etc. etc,.   And the Beat goes on and on and on and on
till everybody just gives up and goes away.

They sold far more records through those record clubs than they do in
retail stores and never give any artists an accounting of the
operations either.   Licensed themselves to Steal once again.    And we
wonder why we continue to see legendary performers and recording artist
that we know sold million of recordings die broke?   While a few in the
know insiders have been socking away millions of dollars for decades.
  If you think the copyright laws are confusing, you should try auditing
a major record label for a royalty check clarification.   ROTFLOL.
You can send your best Accountant there but if he does not know where
and how to look he will come home telling you that your statement is
correct according to accepted rules of accounting just like he was
taught to believe in accounting school.   Anybody wanna buy some stock
in ENRON ?

TAKES MORE THAN CHEESE TO CATCH THOSE BIG RATS!!

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins