[Dixielandjazz] The economics of value

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Dec 31 00:43:57 PST 2006

Shalom Jazz Fans,

I have told stories on the DJML in the past about my band's experience
playing alleged "charity" gigs for free or cheap, only to get there and find
out that they have megabucks invested in the gig, everyone except us is
making money, and we are treated like we're in everybody's way.

Since I learned my lesson, my answer is, "We will gladly offer a reduced
rate for a legitimate charity event if all other service providers are also
working for reduced rates." If it is not a local event, I always ask for
travel expenses, even if we play for free.

Happy new year!

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble