[Dixielandjazz] The economics of value

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Dec 30 22:10:25 PST 2006

 Of course there are always
charity cases and bottom feeders looking for a bargain in every line of
work
‹ the charity cases should be dealt with on their merits, to the extent
the
band is able, and the bottom feeders should be ignored!  No
self-respecting
musician or band needs them because they are a distraction from
transactions
which benefit the goals of your band, such as to be showcased
appropriately,
treated amicably and heard with some respect.

 To the extent that a musician
has the opportunity to obtain compensation, the market is telling him
where
he should invest his time and talent.  Not trying to sound like the late
Milton Friedman here, but there is no excuse for playing trash gigs...go
where the client is willing to show respect for the artistry/or the
music in
the customary fashion: PAYING THE PIPER.

  (Before I get hate mail, I am NOT
calling charity cases like church suppers or nursing homes or
schools/hospitals ³trash gigs².  You do those for the benefit of your
community or for causes in which you believe. And we are always happy
to do
some every year.)

I agree Daivd:

These David generally are the Bottom FEEDERS :

Charities in particular:   They are Professional Bottom feeders to
maintain their own inflated salaries for doing good.

If Everyone works for free and all good and services are donated then I
will consider donating other wise When I pay They All Pay.

They take up a collection at every Church Service, and the Hospitals do
not cotten to giving away Free medical services, and Nursing homes also
charge a hefty price for their services.

Churches are a Social Club in most communities, and the only one
gettin' Paid for the socializin' is the Preacher.   The members are
alwasy asked to fix the roof, put in the new carpet, paint the
building, repair the monastery for Free etc etc.  All in helpin' the
Good Lawd fleece the flock in the name of doin' sooooo much gooood.

Psst:  Hey Guys I know Churches that have a $375,000.00 a year Talent
budget alone,  wise up !!

The Piano player or organist gets paid too.   Stop being a patsy and
charge 'em.

I also play nice Catholic Cathedrals for a lot of money for a one hours
performance too.

There are suckers and suckees,  it is up to us to determine which we
wish to be.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Jazzy New Year to all, wherever you are in the world --

David Dustin